sash stop adjusters
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomercer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: sash stop adjusters Reply with quote

What the heck are sash stop adjusters (say that three times fast!) and how are they installed? They look like little brass buttons/cups with a hole for a screw. Several Webs ties talk about them, but no one shows an "action shot."
jade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sash stop adjusters sash stop adjusters sash stop adjusters...how's that?!

a sash stop adjuster is indeed a peice of hardware shaped like a cup and the hole that accepts the screw is oblong. this allows for adjustment of the stop and hence a tighter, smoother operating lower sash....i by a box of 50 or 100 and the price is more like .65 than $1......

you can see one for yourself by going to www.kilianhardware.com and doing a search for 'sash stop adjuster'....

ok, now can you say irish wristwatch three times fast???

good luck.....
....jade
jomercer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilin's is where I think I saw them first....I must be really dense, though. I still can't picture how they work.

Kilian's says they are "A solid brass stop bead adjuster for mounting removable window stops. The slotted screw hole permits 1/8" of lateral adjustment.", but lateral in relation to what? and what do they screw into? which direction?

When I put my windows' parting bead in, they are snug in a 1/2" slot, and I don't see how they would move much of anywhere other than deeper or shallower in the slot--and that doesn't make the sash tighter or looser.
Ms. Chips

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: adjusting stops Reply with quote

Kilian's says they are "A solid brass stop bead adjuster for mounting removable window stops. The slotted screw hole permits 1/8" of lateral adjustment.", but lateral in relation to what? and what do they screw into? which direction?

When I put my windows' parting bead in, they are snug in a 1/2" slot, and I don't see how they would move much of anywhere other than deeper or shallower in the slot--and that doesn't make the sash tighter or looser.[/quote]

Hi Jo,
I think I can handle this one, having gained intimate knowledge of window parts - those feats of wooden engineering! The parting beads are the skinny strips of wood that divide the top sash from the bottom sash in the jamb. The stop bead is installed on the outer face of the jamb and makes a channel for the bottom sash to run in. We're lucky enough to have the "stop bead adjusters" on our windows already in situ - except for the ones that have disappeared. These were a feature of higher-end windows back in the day, but other stop beads were just carefully mitered into place in the frame. Getting them out without marring the wood must be a huge challenge.

If you want to install stop bead adjusters into the stops, you need to drill 1/2" diameter holes (looks like ours are about every 10") or so along the length of the stop and pound in the cup part with a mallet. The whole point of these puppies is to give some side-to-side adjustment when screwed in so that the bottom sash doesn't rub against the stop - or too loose so that the sash rattles in the channel.

I can post a picture of our window once I re-install the stops if that helps you.

Hope this helps! Now I'm looking for someone who will plate our new brass replacements to look like the original antique copper...
emrude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stop that these are used on is the trim that holds the lower sash in place. If you were to slide it(the window stop) up tight the lower window would move really hard. If you leave a lot of space the window will rattle. The stop bead adjuster goes on this "outer" stop and allows you to loosen or tighten so lower window moves smoothly. So the adjustment moves the stop in and out.
I use a nailer and adjust as I'm fitting sash back in. When I used hand nails, I had a harder time keeping stop from moving.
The parting bead keeps the upper window in place. It fits in a dado in the jamb and the only way I have adjusted it was making the exposed part thinner, so window would work easier.

Marion
jomercer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a UDH! moment over the weekend that solved (hah1) my confusion.... Misxing terms was my problem. Too much frantic work trying to beat the winter, I guess.

Indeed, I know what the sash stop is, as opposed to the parting bead. Thanks for your charitable and patient replies.

And, might I say, with the help from this forum and John's compendium of PRRs, my windows are well on their way to recovery!
smithsash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Stop Bead Adjusters Reply with quote

we sell proprietary stop bead adjusters:

http://www.smithrestorationsash.com/stopbead.html

best regards,

Justin Smith

stopbeadadjusters.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.82 KB
 Viewed:  563 Time(s)

stopbeadadjusters.jpg

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: